Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The moment of truth

The truth is I loooveee English. I started to like English when I was in Year 5 primary school. Ever since I know how to read, I read and read and read and never stop reading. But those days I only read Malay story books. My dad bought me a lot of storybooks. When I was about 11, I started to become bored of Malay books because it seems like I’ve read every Malay story books available (haha!!). So, one day I challenged myself to read English storybook. I bought a book from Enid Blyton series called The Naughtiest Girl in School. Like hell, I tried to read the book. I took me like 3 months to finish reading the book and I only understand like 50% (the content, I mean).

As days goes by, I fell in love with English Language. Moreover, I started to listen to English songs. Miraculously, my academic performance increased once I started to read English books. My confidence level increased too now that I understand English. Then, I started to talk in English…in front of the mirror. Sounds crazy? But, worth it. Well, there is no one for me to talk English to those days.

Sweet valley series, Fear Street, Christopher Pike. Those are my favourite when I was 12 to 15 years old. Mind you, I don’t even look at Malay story books or magazines anymore or watch Malay dramas or listen to Malay songs those days. Gosh, how arrogant am i! But, those are the past. I started to read Malay story books again, listen to Malay songs again and watch Malay TV series again when I was in university. Now, I read, watch and listen to any materials in Malay Language. I married an educated and caring Malay man and we speak Malay to each other. No more the arrogant me…

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Flowers and Decors. Powered by Blogger